One District One Factory Programme was instituted by His Excellency, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo to address the challenge of slow economic growth at the district level through a massive nationwide industrialisation drive, which will equip and empower communities to utilise their local resources in manufacturing products that are in high demand both locally and internationally. This will allow the country to reap the well-known rewards of industrialisation, such as gains in efficiency in every facet of life in our society, increase in agricultural and manufacturing output, a reduction in the reliance on imports and increase in the production of consumer goods and food availability.
The programme is expected to facilitate the creation of between 7,000 to 15,000 jobs per district and between 1.5 million and 3.2 million nationwide by end of 2021.
- Increase job creation
- Promote rural income generation through grass-root participation in industrial and commercial activities
- Promote import substitution for currency stability
- Promote income generation for a wide range of producers
- Increase revenues through exports
- Attract and Improve profitability of investors
- Provide necessary incentive to increase yield of domestic output.
The mission of the One-District, One-Factory programme is to identify and create business opportunities in the districts, harnessing the strengths and resources of the locals in an efficient technology and demand driven value chain.